We were torn.
Sweat beaded down our forehead and fell with a tremendous splash on the ground. Our eyes darted back and forth, and our heads were spinning. All the sights around us were blurred and the sounds were a distinct babble. We could hear the loud, ominous ticking of the clock, even thought there was none nearby. We were chewing on our bottom lips and hopping from one foot to another.
We were completely, completely torn.
Our breath came in quick, tense rasps. Our knees banged against each other. We were tremblig from head to toe. This was no mere decision. It was a decision that required advanced intelligence level and extreme daring.
We were in a mall.
Searching for shoes.
Not just any shoes though. They were special shoes. They were the shoes that were "in". Everyone who was anyone wore these shoes. Which classified me as a no one.
At least, that's what Goonjan said.
Yes, here we were, once again, the two of us.
Anyway, back to the shoes.
Flashback
"Oh my god Namrata, I have GOT to get those shoes!"
Me with my usual brilliant taste in fashion crinckled my nose. "Urgh Goonjan, you're taking ballet?"
She shoots me a death glare. "Jesus, those aren't ballet shoes. They're flats."
"Ballet flats." I added. Well really, the looked like ballet shoes. They were longish and extremely flat and displayed about seventy-five percent of your foot. And they looked pretty uncomfortable.
But who was I to question the high power?
"Let's try to find my size. 51/2."
Leave it to dear Goonjan to put me to work.
I sighed, placing the bookmark back in my book, and started to eye the large shoe rack with distaste. It's hard to believe that Goonjan is my best friend. I've never seen someone who is so unlike me. For one thing, she absolutely detests reading. For another, she is extremely conscious about looks. She go ther hair highlighted at age eight. I mean really, isn't that enough?
And then there's me. Well you all know me pretty well I hope.
Enough to conclude that me and Goonjan are totally controversial.
Like Shakespeare and Rick Riordan.
Or as Goonjan would've said, like flip flops and high heels.
See what I mean?
Anyway, I hopelessly dug through the stacks of shoe boxes trying to find the right size. I mean, these 'organized racks' are so completely useless. You can find everything and every size except what you're looking for.
Fifteen minutes later we were assembled together bending over two pairs of shoes. Goonjan eyed them with indecision and scrutiny. I eyed them with distaste. The first pair was black, but a litlle too small for Goonjan. He second was a perfect fit and was a bright golden colour.
Which brings me to the situation mentioned in paragraph one.
We were completely torn. Correction, Goonjan was completely torn.
Wracked with indecision, her hand stretched out towards the black shoes. Then just as quickly, as if scared that they would bite her, she drew her hand away and navigated it towards the golden pair. Then she bit her lip and wrung her hands.
"Oh God, which pair should I get?"
I groaned loudly and sank into the cushioned chair nearby. This was going to be fun. Two hours at the mall and I was the only sane one around. Me and my good old book.
"The black pair go on all my outifts," Goonjan continued, "But gold looks much fancier. Black can't be worn for fancy."
"Why not?"
"Well for one thing, it looks casual. Like you just came home from school."
"Erm..."
"And plus, it clashes horribly with party wear. Golden gives you the I-so-know-what-I'm-wearing-is-hot outlook. It radiates confidence."
"Uh..."
"And it is universally known that you do not wear golden on casuals. It looks way to sober. Showoff-ish you know?"
I slumped back. "I give up."
Goonjan turned back to her shoe dilemma. "Oh jesus, which ones should I get?"
Half and hour later
A girl is sitting on the floor cross-legged chewing off her perfectly manicured nails. She alternately reaches out and draws back from the two pairs of shoes in front of her. Her eyes dart back and forth and she is whimpering. The girl is stricken with indecision.
A second girl is sprawled spectacularly across an extremely fluffy armchair, a book covering her face. She looks like a person who had just walked out of Ring Two. Gentle snores wafted through the air near her. She asleep dreaming inevitably about shoes.
"Namrata!"
In my hasty attempt to get up, I fell off the chair with a thud, sending my book skidding across the carpeted ground.
"Wha-a...?"
"Help me!" Goonjan cried, wringing her hands.
'Lord almighty," I muttered, "Just get both of them."
It took a few minutes for the idea to click. Then Goonjan's eyes lit up with joy and realisation. She grabbed the two pairs of shoes, grabbed me by the collar in mid-yawn and hightailed to where her mother was standing.
"Mom mom pleeeeeease can I get both pairs?"
Goonjan was screaming and jumping up and down as I stood a few feet behind her looking like a zombie.
Goonjan's mother pursed her lips, "no Goonjan..."
"No mom I want it pleeeeeeeeease mom...."
I yawned audibly.
"I guess so...fine."
Before I could react, I found myself being flung across the mall corridors in a bizarre attempt to, from what I deduced, hug me. I could hear the loud screams that echoed around me as Goonjan yanked me back up and twirled us around and around.
"Thank You so much mom!" Goonjan flung herself on her mother. I was still twirling in the background and had to steady myself as the world around me slowly stopped spinning.
"Isn't this great Namrata?" Goonjan beamed.
"Urgh..." I replied intelligently. Goonjan took no notice and enthusiastically put an arm around my shoulders.
"I'm going to take you to the library."
I did a double take. "What?"
"Really."
Half and hour later
A girl sat cross-legged on a soft carpeted floor. She was surrounded by a fortress of books so that she was practically hidden under them. She was chewing her lips, her brows furrowed, deep in concentration. She ran her tongue over her dry lips. She was in a dilemma.
A second girl was slumped unceremoniously on a roundish wooden table, snoring gently on a large colourful book. She was oblivious to her surroundings and didn't notice he librarian that was glaring silently at her from across the room.
"Goonjan!"
It was only a hiss, but it startled Goonjan into jerking up and sending the books sprawling across the floor. Quickly gathering her wits, she crouched down to retrieve it, shooting an apologetic look to the librarian. She looked suitably peeved.
I was torn. Completely, completely torn.
"Which book should I get?"
5 comments:
Hahaha , That was funny. Keep posting. Ur Writin is amazing.
Nice. Really. Nice sequence of events. Dats wat makes it interesting. Keep posting (ur life seems to be full of dese adventures, mine's quite dull so have to think a lot b4 i can recall sumthin gud)
haha!
not ur best post apparently. i LUVD it.
btw, how do u and goonjan stand each other?
tapan, are u depressed?? u sound very depressed. i usually distract ppl wit my stupidity so dey dont feel depressed nemore. i cud always try with u...
wow. im such a nice kind soul....
Great, keep posting!
namrata,
ur by far the best writer here, at least in my opinion (no offence meant to anyone else).
Post a Comment